Time is a valuable commodity. A person who makes the effort to carve out time for a workout wants to get maximum results from it. If your workouts aren’t getting the desired results, it’s time to let the 80/20 rule propel your fitness to the next level.

How To Do It

The 80/20 rule means that you spend 80% of your workout doing low-intensity exercises, and you reserve the remaining 20% for high-intensity exercises. Under this rule, a low-intensity exercise is one that doesn’t cause you to become out of breath.

It is ok to sweat a little, but you don’t want to be panting and exhausted during the low-intensity portion of your workout. Water aerobics, yoga, tai┬áchi, and brisk walking are all examples of low-intensity exercise that fit under the 80/20 rule.

Why It Works

If you spend 80% of your time at a low-intensity, your body will be thoroughly warmed up by the time you get to the high-intensity 20%. Your lungs will be ready to supply as much air as necessary and your muscles will be supple.

The 80/20 rule allows you to approach the 20% of your workout, the part that will bring the most tangible results, with your body at peak performance. This is more efficient and sustainable than launching into a high-intensity workout with cold muscles.

The Pareto Principle

The 80/20 rule is nothing new. It’s an application of the Pareto Principle, a mathematical theory that 80% (or more) of results come from 20% of efforts. This theory is regularly used to make decisions in business, science, manufacturing, and other industries.

To get the most out of your body, avoid becoming overworked or exhausted. Short bursts of high-intensity exercise should be manageable even for beginners.