Avoid fitness burnout with this handy technique
If you’re guilty of working too hard to reach your fitness goals, you run the risk of burning out. This is where the 80/20 technique comes into its own. Use this training method to keep up your routine and meet your workout goals!
What’s The 80/20 Training Method?
This is where you work at a relatively low intensity for 80% of the time, and then the other 20% you exercise at a higher level. The 80/20 method first came to light in the early 2000s and revolutionized the way athletes approach their workouts.
Typically, people spend roughly 50% to 70% of their training at a moderate level of intensity. Sadly, this results in athletes pushing themselves so hard during practice that they’re unable to bring their A-game when it counts.
What’s a Moderate-Intensity Workout?
If you’re unsure what moderate-intensity is for you, take note of your breathing. Your breathing rate will shoot up when you reach a moderate intensity workout.
To avoid hitting your limits, take your time. Typically, people try and get through their training sessions as quickly as possible. Consequently, they push themselves too hard, too fast. To counteract this issue, try scheduling a lower intensity workout when you have the time to enjoy it; that way you won’t be tempted to speed things up.
Don’t Let Your Ego Win
Sometimes, trying to be the best can get in your way. For example, when you go for a run in public, the last thing you want is for people to think you’re slow. This can trigger you to pick up the pace.
To get the full benefit of the 80/20 technique, put your ego to the side and only allow your competitive edge to get the better of you when it’s to your advantage, like when you’re running the race you’ve been training for!